Saturday, October 9, 2010

Dorain Gray, the 2009 movie


Before I say anything else, I would like to make a confession. I am in love with. No. No. I adore Oscar Wilde. He is epitome of everything I love when it comes to wit, charm and words. I even wrote a note to him and left it at his grave in Cimetiere du Pere-Lachaise. His tomb is covered with lipstick kisses. I am not surprised. He is a man every woman would adore. Among his many plays stands one book, The Picture of Dorian Gray. I read this book first when I was 14 years old. I remember it making quiet an impression on me. So the other day I was browsing online movies when I spotted a 2009 version of Dorain Gray.

Being me, I had to watch it. It is quiet dark. Dorian Gray is obviously gorgeous as he is meant to be. I liked the portrayal of Lord Henry by Colin Firth. I wasn’t sure about the story line though. It seemed as if the screen play had taken some liberties with the story. Going back 16 years, I cannot recall Dorian falling in love with Lord Henry’s daughter. I remember him destroying the portrait himself. I do not recall anyone forcing him to do it. Also I do not recall the actress Sybil. I do not remember him killing the painter who painted him. I do remember however everyone being in love with him for his beauty. Men and women.

I suppose I need to reread the novel to see if my memory is as great as I would like to think it is at times. Even if the movie took liberties with the original story, I would recommend every Oscar Wilde fan to watch the movie. It is very well made. However, I would not recommend this movie instead of the book for a book report on The Picture of Dorian Gray.

I am sure Oscar Wilde would have enjoyed the movie as much as I enjoyed it. Maybe even more. For in the words of my beloved Oscey, “there is only one thing worse than being talked about and that is not being talked about."

No comments:

Post a Comment